Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management
President: John Box CEcol FCIEEM
CEO: Ms Sally Hayns MCIEEM
43 Southgate Street
Winchester, SO23 9EH
Phone: +44 (0) 1962 868626
Who is CIEEM?
CIEEM is the leading professional membership body representing and supporting ecologists and environmental managers in the UK, Ireland and abroad. Our Vision is of a society which values the natural environment and recognises the contribution of professional ecologists and environmental managers to its conservation.
Established in 1991, and receiving our Royal Charter in 2013, we have around 5,000 members drawn from across the employment sectors including local authorities, government agencies, NGOs, environmental consultancy, academia and industry. The diversity of our membership is our greatest strength, enabling us to take an integrated and holistic approach to furthering the management and enhancement of biodiversity and the ecological processes essential to a fully functional biosphere.
We work to advance the understanding and standards of practice of ecological and environmental management for the benefit of the natural environment and society.
What does CIEEM do?
In order to achieve our mission, CIEEM engages in a wide range of activities. These include:
- establishing and upholding standards of professional competence and conduct of those who practise ecological and environmental management as a profession;
- promoting the sharing of best practice through publications, networking and awards;
- supporting continuing professional development (CPD) through the provision of training and conferences;
- being an influential voice for the sector by advising governments on policy and practice in relation to management of the natural environment; and
- promoting an integrated inter-disciplinary approach to sustainable management of the natural environment.
Who are our Members?
CIEEM membership is open to those who manage, enhance and protect the natural environment.
Our existing members perform a wide variety of roles ranging from surveying and field data analysis through to consulting on environmental policy.
Our membership categories are tailored to suit students through to chief executives, offering professional support to those both seeking and actively engaged in a career in ecology and environmental management.
While CIEEM members are drawn from a range of backgrounds the common thread tying them together is a level of professional competence which we
are proud to promote and support.