Food waste and GHG reduction through innovative consulting and measures (Switzerland)
Innovation of approach is at least as important as technical innovation. More than a fifth of global GHG emissions are caused by food production and processing. In Switzerland the contribution of gastronomy is almost as high as that of households, and it is at about the same level as the total contribution of production, wholesale trade and processing taken together.
For 6 years the city of Zurich has been running the voluntary advisory programme ‘Ökokompass’ (Eco Compass) for SMEs. One main emphasis is on restaurants and other gastronomy businesses. 2 (out of 4) specialised consultants that are involved in the programme belong to Ecosens AG. Through the dissemination of information as well as patient and persistent persuasion, they have already helped dozens of companies reduce their food waste and carbon footprint. These exemplary restaurants are now starting to spread the best practice concept to the rest of the food industry. A citywide trend is to be expected!
The most important strategies and measures are:
- Ideal purchase planning
- Ideal storage conditions for products
- Menu planning: use of all eatable food components
- Optimisation of portion sizes (e.g. S,M,L)
- Giving leftovers to customers in a doggy box to take with them
- High quality re-use or disposal of unavoidable food waste
- Training for all of the staff involved (management, kitchen, service)
- Use of local products
- Declaration of carbon footprint in the menu